Tuesday, February 11, 2014

First, I had a wonderful playdate with two amazing ladies and their amazing children.  It is always great to be in great company with great conversation while our children play nicely.  Loudly, but nicely. 

Secondly, I am fuming mad right now.  After an hour long discussion with my freshman in high school neighbor, I am having SERIOUS doubts about sending Greta through the public education system.  Morgan, the neighbor, was showcasing her normal homework load.  I was not impressed.  Busy work, worksheets, thoughtless assignments, clearly from a vapid old tired teacher (s) with no intention of really teaching the students anything.  Morgan's big assignment for the night was a thesis essay, 3 pages, MLA format on the cause of WWI.  No introduction.  No prior/introductory knowledge/info to draw upon.  She has one day to do an assignment that was not modeled for her, "I do, we do, you do," with 200 pts. on the line.  Not okay.  I was fuming mad.  If this is the model/basis/norm for Homestead HS's freshman, Greta will NOT be attending.  There is a reason for homework.....practice what we learned today.  There is a reason for several kinds of assessments---"let's see if you know what you are doing."  New unit of study?  Let's kick it off with something exciting and fun to reel my students in so they are more engaged.  WWI is a HUGE part of world history.  I guess it is now covered in 2 weeks, celebrated with a 3 page essay.  Forget Franz Ferdinand and trench warfare.   I am very disturbed.  AND, this teacher apparently does not tolerate questions from her kids.  "If you don't know it, it isn't my fault."  WRONG OH.  Yet another reason why I hate the state of teaching today.  I won't go back.  Ever.  I could not handle having a teacher in my department like this.  They are old, bored, and hate their job.  Don't like it? LEAVE. 

I'm sure KADY will have something to say about this.  OH, and apparently because of all the missed days because of the weather, students are expected to just kinda breeze through all of the missed work and just know it already......Not sure how this works.  No delay in the quiz/test schedule.  GENIOUS.

And don't get me started on standardized tests........all of this makes homeschooling look more attractive.  I'd like Greta to experience Eastover Elementary and East Hills Middle School.  I had great teachers, which I didn't know at the time.  The men and women who taught me were passionate, caring, and clearly loved their jobs.  They were good at it.  It was evident in the results they saw in their students.  Their lessons were creative.  None of this worksheet crap business.  Ugh.

SIDENOTE:  I've been following a thread on my little sister's FB account, Dana Monforton. 32 comments later, I've learned an acquaintance from school is not only a jack ass, but a sexist, ignorant, bro-dude who is clearly misinformed.  I have no idea how he is married to a woman (who is not a man).  I'm embarrassed for him.  I invite you to read the thread.  I'm sure most of my blog readers are friends with Dana on FB.  It is seriously comical.  This, only to book end my twin's FB post about the people who bitch about their healthy children.  That was hilarious.  I guess it takes some serious health concerns to realize how lucky one can, especially when it relates to your children.  I know first hand what it is like to be scared TO DEATH about your child.  Not fun.  Sure, Greta has her days, but I never take her for granted or disrespect my job as her mother by exploiting her through some dumb FB post.  Really. 

And finally, hugs to my friend Katie who lost a friend this past week.  My heart is heavy for Katie, losing a friend.  My heart is heavy for the family who lost such an amazing wife, mother, and daughter.  Time is precious.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks honey...such a sad time for them.

    On a side note, I'm not friend with Dana, but I'm dying to know who you're talking about. Jennie's thread was hilarious- Alexa & I had a good laugh over that one ;)

    ReplyDelete