Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Made in Detroit

I have been celebrating all things Detroit (and Christmas), especially all things related to food.

I have enjoyed Leo's Coney Island (twice). I think if the Three Wise Men didn't have frankincense and myrrh, they surely would have sprung for some Lemon Rice Soup and a nice Greek Salad. Yeppers.

I had a great Polish meal at Polonia in downtown Hamtramck with a great friend, Mrs. Peggy Maley. She is my friend Erin's mom and we have kept in touch since leaving for college. She is super awesome to talk to, especially about politics. We see eye to eye on several issues, which is a nice break from political "discussions" with my conservative husband. (I love you Dave, just not your politics.) I have a beautiful plate of stuffed cabbage (golabcki), potatoes, and carrots. Yummy! Pete, Peggy's husband, enjoy the combination plate---stuffed cabbage, pierogies, sausage, and sauerkraut. (I'm drooling again.) Peggy had the roast beef, which looked nice, but it wasn't Polish enough for me. I love Poland and Poland's food.

And finally, in celebration of Dana's graduation from college, we had our Ohana dinner at the Forest Grille in Birmingham, Michigan. HOLY JESUS, was it good. The chef focuses his menu on seasonal and local items. Seriously, this was the 3rd best meal I've ever had. Scallops wrapped in bacon atop a nice "pile" of whipped cauliflower, almonds, capers, and a balsamic reduction. This was the Christmas miracle. SO GOOD. I polished off my dinner, enjoyed some doughnuts on the menu, and laughed at my drunk family.

Once again, Michigan awesomeness. Loving being at home in le' Mitten.

No comments:

Post a Comment