Thursday, December 30, 2010

El Sicko

Two words for my readers: Sinus. Infection.

Not only did Santa Claus bring a beautiful display of Christmas treasures, but a sinus/ear infection as well. It's okay, because I still believe in the magic of Christmas.

To help resolve my illness, I whipped up a batch of Jan Monforton's famous Beef Barley Soup, promising to warm the bellies of all who enjoy it. Here is the recipe:

BEEF BARLEY SOUP
This is for a single batch.

5 qt. water
1-1/2 to 2 lbs. beef soup meat (beef shanks are good)
1 med onion, diced or minced
8 beef bouillon cubes
1 Tbsp. worcestorshire sauce
1 Tbsp. soy sauce, regular or low sodium
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. seasoned salt
3 or 4 drops Tobasco or Red Hot Sauce
1/4 c. ketchup
1/8 tsp. pepper
Combine all the above in a large pot, bring to boil, then simmer for several hours til meat falls off bone. Remove meat and soup bones (treat for the girls?).
Crumble the meat into small pieces, and add back to the broth. (Sometimes I'll do this process in the evening, then set the soup outside to chill and let any
fat rise to the top, then do the following the next day)
Add to soup:
2 carrots, cubed or cut as small or chunky as you like.
2 celery ribs with leafy tops, finely choped
1 Tbsp parsley flakes
2 medium-to-large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1-1/2 c. quick barley (or use regular barley, but a smaller amount)
Simmer for several hours, til vegetables are fully cooked.

As mentioned, this soup is amazing. I just ate a bowl and I already feel better. Jan usually bakes several loaves of whole wheat bread to serve along side the soup, but my bread making abilities are not up to snuff (even with a bread machine).

I will be sure to start taking some pictures for the blog on my new camera.

1 comment: