Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

I dread this day----it is strange how one day can bring out feelings in you that usually lie dormant the rest of the year. I spent Friday night (while Dave was at softball), watching 9/11 stuff on all the news channels. Sitting there alone, sobbing, I recalled the day that the towers fell, just like it happened yesterday. I remember watching the television on that morning, thinking in my heart that the U.S. was under attack, and there was nothing I could do about it. I seriously believed that Chicago would be next, then L.A., then Dallas, and so on.....I felt helpless, sad, and most of all, scared. The following days, it was like I had witnessed a murder first hand. To this day, whenever I see 9/11 stuff on television, my eyes immediately begin to water and I go back to that place when I first experienced it. I hope to God Greta never has to live through something like that----I remember talking to my little sister later on that night when it first happened, asking her what Mom and Dad were doing. She said they were all sitting in front of the television following the news and that all of them had tears in their eyes.

As I drove to Ohio today with Dave, we listened to the memorial over the radio. I started to cry as the families of those lost read aloud the names of those who perished-----I am forever thankful and grateful I don't know any of those people. Though I do reel for those families who DID lose someone......a brother, sister, mom, dad, daughter, son, grandparent......it is really just so sad.

While I rarely make remarks about religion, to this day I guess I'll never understand where the Al Quaeda people are coming from......they have families too......what if this happened to them? I wonder sometimes if they are truly soul-less.

In light of the sadness I feel, this day makes me appreciate my family and friends more. I know how incredibly blessed I am to have to have my health, a great husband, a miracle of a daughter, and pretty nice life.

No comments:

Post a Comment