Saturday, March 5, 2011

Generosity of Spirit


I had to write about this.....
I get a quick email from a friend mentioning how she would like to purchase a rather large baby gift for my upcoming baby shower. Sometimes I am absolutely silenced (crazy, right) by people and their generous actions. Unbelievable. I had to write about it. When Dave and I got married, we received some beautiful gifts from family and friends. We were so grateful that we had such a wonderful turnout in Fort Wayne. Two gifts stand out---we received $500 from my dad's brother. Whoa. We also received a generous cash gift from a college friend (Note: We had JUST graduated. No one had money or a rockin' job at that point). This is one of those times.

On a side note, I was thinking (during an early afternoon laundry/dusting/cleaning the microwave sessions) about how music has changed so much in the last 15 years. When I was in high school, I could not get enough of Dr. Dre's The Chronic and Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle. By far, two of the best rap albums of all time. I'm sorry folks, I will argue that until the day I die. In the mid to late 90's, we were also introduced to Sublime, Counting Crows, Matchbox 20---all bands that demonstrated real musicality, artistry, and musicianship. I have that feeling all over again---Adele, Mumford and Sons, Avett Brothers, The Dixie Chicks (they never lost it and will always have it and I CANNOT WAIT for their next album when Natalie Maines gets her head together), Lady Gaga, Eminem....


The Grammys were televised a few weeks ago and I can honestly say I enjoyed 97% of the show. I can do without the Black Eyed Peas (Ugh. Fergie is a tranny who happens to be married to a total hottie. What gives?), Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber (ugh ugh), and Kesia (I just threw up in my mouth). This whole music conversation came up at school yesterday with a colleague. We were talking about Dr. Dre's upcoming album release and how I was very excited. We were able to flashback to high school and discuss further how awesome he was and how 50 Cent sucks and how Suge Knight is a thug. I love it. I'm just a white girl from the suburbs. Holler. Anyhoo, I am proud to say that I am a radio enthusiast all over again. For a while there, I'd lost all hope. And yes, I will always love Britney Spears and her terrible extensions.

In parting,
"G's up, hoes down."

No comments:

Post a Comment